The Watts Gallery – Artists’ Village
House and art gallery dedicated to the work of the Victorian-era painter and sculptor George Frederic Watts.
Down Lane, Compton, Surrey, GU3 1DQGet Directions
- Bike storage facilities
- Cafe / restaurant
- Easily accessible without car
- Facilities for children
- Free parking
- Mostly wheelchair accessible
- Picnic area
This unique nineteenth-century artists’ village comprises historic and contemporary galleries, a chapel, grounds, and Limnerslease, the Watts’ own house.
Please note: The information on the Historic Houses website is advisory, but please always check the website of the house or garden you intend to visit before travelling.
Watts Gallery including Limnerslease
- Open daily: 10.30am – 4pm, including Bank Holidays. Pre-booking online is recommended.
Watts Chapel & Cemetery
- Monday to Friday: 9am – 4pm
- Saturday and Sunday: 10am – 4pm
- Closed Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day
- Includes the Visitor Centre, the Shop and Watts Contemporary Gallery
- Open daily: 10am – 5pm, including Bank Holidays. (No pre-booking required)
- Closed Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Boxing Day
- Open New Year’s Eve (closing at 4pm)
Historic Houses members may visit the entire site – Limnerslease and the surrounding village, grounds, chapel, and galleries, for free.
- Adults: £13.50 (£14.95 with a donation for Gift Aid)
- Students/under 25s: £6.75 (£7.45 with a donation for Gift Aid)
- Under 18s: free
- Essential carers go free when accompanying the person they care for.
Whether your group wants an overview of the collection, has a special area of interest or wishes to explore a particular exhibition, we can provide a wide range of tours and talks to meet your requirements.
Groups of 8 or more people save on admission prices and also get a discount in our shop. A variety of catering options are also available from our award-winning Tea Shop.
Watts Gallery – Artists’ Village provides an inspirational backdrop for students to explore a range of subjects linked to the national curriculum and post-14 exam courses.
Explore woodlands and heritage buildings, discover hundreds of Victorian paintings, sculptures, and contemporary art and visit the
Grade I listed Arts & Crafts Chapel. Take a free self-guided tour or inspire students with brilliant activities led by our creative learning team.
Kara Wescombe Blackman
Down Lane, Compton, Surrey, GU3 1DQ
The main visitor entrance is at ///developed.magnetic.spike. What does this mean?
Located in Compton, Surrey, near Guildford. Just 40 mins from London Waterloo, and a short bus/taxi ride from Guildford station.
Trains run every 15 minutes from London Waterloo to Guildford station. There is a 46 bus from Guildford that runs every hour and drops passengers right outside the Visitor Centre of Watts Gallery – Artists’ Village.
Become a Historic Houses member
Explore the nation’s heritage from just £65 per year.
Hundreds of the most beautiful historic houses, castles, and gardens across Britain offer our members free entry.
Also: receive a quarterly magazine, enjoy monthly online lectures, get exclusive invitations to buy tickets for behind-the-scenes tours, and take up a range of special offers on holidays, books, and other products you might like.