Marchmont Estate, Greenlaw, Berwickshire, TD10 6YL
Hidden country mansion, subject to one of the twentieth century's most admired restorations.
- Getting Here
- Opening Times
- Group Visits
Marchmont is an imposing ‘Grade A’ listed ‘Palladian’ mansion built in 1750 by the 3rd Earl of Marchmont.
The house is thought to have been built to a design by William Adam, which was enacted by Thomas Gibson.
Set in a designed landscaped at the heart of the Marchmont Estate, which comprises some 5,500 acres, the interior is arguably one of the finest in Scotland. The house retains many of its original features including magnificent George II period plasterwork by Thomas Clayton, the pre-eminent plasterer of the time.
Major changes were made between 1914 and 1917, when the eminent Scottish architect Sir Robert Lorimer was commissioned to enlarge the house.
The present owners have just completed a sensitive five-year restoration. Their brief was to create a splendid but comfortable ‘home’; one that incorporated the very latest in 21st Century ‘creature comforts’ whilst preserving its historically significant features.
Please check the website for further information, admission times and details about special events.Visit the house's website