A fine stone mansion with an Elizabethan gallery remaining on the 1st floor at the south side of the house.
Ottery St Mary, Devon, EX11 1QT
Cadhay was built by John Haydon in 1550 on the site of an earlier house. His nephew Robert built the Long Gallery, a feature of late 16th century housebuilding, closing in the south side of the house to form a courtyard that became known as the Court of the Sovereigns because of the four statues of Henry VIII, Edward VI, Mary and Elizabeth that stand over the doors.
Robert was married to Joan, the daughter of Sir Amias Poulett, Privy Councillor, former ambassador to France and Keeper of Mary Queen of Scots during her imprisonment.Her cousin, William Paulet, was also on the Privy Council for all for Tudor monarchs which might explain why the courtyard is adorned with statues of each of them.
By 1737 the house was in a poor state of repair and the new owner, Peere Williams, restored the house in the style of that period. He plastered up most of the Tudor hearths and panelled a number of the rooms. He inserted a lower ceiling in the Great Hall under the magnificent timbered roof to form the current dining room and upstairs Roof Chamber.
Being a large house, there were times in the 18th and 19th centuries when Cadhay was divided into two. It again fell into a bad state of repair.