One of the earliest manor houses on the Isle begun in 1615 for the Deputy Governor and with surviving elements including a serpentine mount and walks from the seventeenth century.
Shorwell, Isle Of Wight, PO30 3JGGet Directions
NorthCourt, the largest of the Island’s Jacobean manor houses on the Isle of Wight was built in 1615 on the site of a monastic building, dating back to the 13th century.The present house was built by Sir John Leigh , a deputy governor of the Isle of Wight. It passed through onto to Sir Henry Percy Gordon, who greatly enlarged the estate, with five farms stretching to around 2500 acres. He was the Uncle of Algernon Swinburne, the Victorian poet, who stayed frequently.
One of their daughters, Mary, married a neighbour of their Scottish Estate, General Robert Disney Leith, who later acquired the title of Lord Burgh. John and Christine Harrison bought the house from cousins in 1984 and are restoring the house and gardens, making the gardens of national importance and sharing the house and gardens with guests.