Join

Glyn Cywarch

A seventeenth-century gentleman's residence displaying a fusion of regional traditions and renaissance ideas, retaining original interior detail of exceptional quality.

Talsarnau, Gwynedd, LL47 6TE

Glyn Cywarch

Experience this house

Tours

for the latest information.
Accessibility

Due to the historic listed nature of the building, we cannot make specific accessibility provisions. Therefore, those with accessibility needs are advised to bring assistance. There are many stairs and level changes throughout the property, both inside and outside. Unfortunately, there are no lifts on the property. The ground outside is uneven or turfed in a lot of places.

Does our information need updating?
Let us know here

Glyn Cywarch hall, the gatehouse, the gardens and estate yard ranges are Grade II*-listed as a major early 17th century gentry house and associated gardens and buildings. Its architectural ambition and social status marked in a fusion of regional traditions and renaissance ideas, retaining original interior detail of exceptional quality.

The Wynn family originally controlled the Glyn Estate and at the time of the construction of Glyn Cywarch it was owned by William and Katherine Wynn whose names are engraved above the main threshold. It is suspected that William Wynn was not the first person to inhabit this estate as a Robert Wynn, who died in 1592, is mentioned in records as ‘of Glyn’. It is known that William’s granddaughter Margaret inherited the estate after marrying Sir Robert Owen of Clenneny and Brogyntyn in the 18th century.

In the mid 1780s a grandson of this union, Robert Godolphin Owen inherited the estate. However, for most of the 18th century the Wynn family were ensconced at Brogyntyn Estate whilst the house was used by their agent. Both Robert and his brothers died without issue, leaving their sister Margaret to inherit the combined estates; she married Owen Ormsby of Dublin whose mother was also a descendant of the Wynn family. The property advanced to her daughter Mary Jane Ormsby who married William Gore; their children were addressed under the surname Ormsby-Gore thereafter and the eldest male was created Baron Harlech in 1876.

The hall was extensively restored from 2016-2023. This was done using a sympathetic methodology of traditional materials and master craftspeople, incorporating techniques such as the use of lime plaster. The gatehouse roof was fully repaired and related thanks to a generous grant from the Historic Houses Foundation. Alongside the use of traditional techniques and materials, the thermal insulation of the building was greatly improved, as well as the addition of a renewable heating source in the form of a water source heat pump.

Visitors will be met on arrival by the Senior Housekeeper and light refreshments will be offered. The tour will comprise the ground floor of the interior and exterior of the hall, as well the exterior the Gatehouse, the Gardens, and the Estate Yard ranges. Photographs will be permitted of exteriors but not of interiors.

Tickets

Enquiries should be sent to info@glynestate.co.uk stating the preferred day and time of the visit and the group size. Only pre-booked and pre-paid tours will be permitted.

for the latest information.
Accessibility

Due to the historic listed nature of the building, we cannot make specific accessibility provisions. Therefore, those with accessibility needs are advised to bring assistance. There are many stairs and level changes throughout the property, both inside and outside. Unfortunately, there are no lifts on the property. The ground outside is uneven or turfed in a lot of places.

Does our information need updating?
Let us know here