Coughton Court private wing
Visit the private North Wing of Coughton Court, home to the Throckmorton family for more than 600 years.
Alcester, Warwickshire, B49 5JA
Coughton Court still has many of its original features including its flamboyant sixteenth-century gate tower. It is one of the last remaining Roman Catholic houses in the country to retain its historic treasures, housing one of the very best collections of portraits and memorabilia of one family from the early Tudor times. Alongside family items on display, there are pieces such as the chemise reputedly worn by Mary Queen of Scots when she was executed and a bishop’s Cope, with intricate needlework, believed to have been worked upon by Catherine of Aragon.
Coughton Court was gifted to the National Trust in 1946 by the Throckmortons, the family continue to live at Coughton Court, continuing six centuries of unbroken tradition.
Since 1992, the gardens which had been abandoned after the Second World War have been brought back to life by Clare McLaren Throckmorton and her daughter Christina Williams who have created a garden that provides this beautiful house the setting it deserves.