Past winners of Garden of the Year
The Garden of the Year Award has been celebrating Britain's glorious historic gardens since 1984. See our previous winners below.
The full list of winners since 1984
- 2021 Gordon Castle Walled Gardens, Moray | Judge’s Choice: Elton Hall, Cambridge
- 2020 Mapperton House, Dorset | Judge’s Choice: Gresgarth Hall, Cumbria
- 2019 Newby Hall & Gardens, North Yorkshire
- 2018 Miserden, Gloucestershire
- 2017 Helmingham Hall, Suffolk
- 2016 Caerhays Castle, Cornwall
- 2015 Renishaw Hall, Derbyshire
- 2014 Bowood House, Wiltshire
- 2013 Dalemain, Cumbria
- 2012 Abbotsbury Subtropical Garden, Dorset
- 2011 Castle Howard, North Yorkshire
- 2009 Chenies Manor House, Buckinghamshire
- 2008 Blenheim Palace, Oxfordshire
- 2007 Houghton Hall, Norfolk
- 2006 Bourton House Gardens, Gloucestershire
- 2005 Burton Agnes Hall, East Yorkshire
- 2004 Borde Hill Gardens, West Sussex
- 2003 Kiftsgate Court, Gloucestershire
- 2002 West Dean Gardens, West Sussex
- 2001 Exbury Gardens, Hampshire
- 2000 Cottesbrooke Hall, Northamptonshire
- 1999 Pashley Manor, East Sussex
- 1998 Iford Manor, Wiltshire and Mellerstain Berwickshire
- 1997 Athelhampton, Dorset
- 1996 Sudeley Castle, Gloucestershire
- 1995 Hever Castle, Kent
- 1994 Levens Hall, Cumbria
- 1993 Haddon Hall, Derbyshire
- 1992 Forde Abbey, Somerset
- 1991 Holker Hall, Cumbria
- 1990 Parham, Sussex
- 1989 Brympton d’Evercy, Somerset
- 1988 Barnsley House, Gloucestershire
- 1987 Arley Hall, Cheshire
- 1986 Newby Hall, North Yorkshire
- 1985 Hodnet Hall, Shropshire
- 1984 Heale House, Wiltshire
Gordon Castle Walled Garden Wins Garden of the Year 2021
In a record-breaking vote, Gordon Castle Walled Garden, in Moray, Scotland, has won the 2021 Garden of the Year Award, sponsored by Christie’s auction house, accumulating over `three thousand votes for the first time in the competition’s 37-year history.
Elton Hall Wins Judge’s Choice Award 2021
Winning the Judge’s Choice Award was Meredyth (Lady) Proby’s creation of an almost entirely new garden in the historic setting of Elton Hall in Cambridgeshire. Lady Proby has spent a lifetime transforming and enriching a garden that had already been through...
Mapperton Wins Garden of the Year 2020
Mapperton House, Dorset, home to the Earl and Countess of Sandwich and their family, is crowned 2020 Historic Houses Garden of the Year in a record-breaking public vote.
Gresgarth Hall is the Judge’s Choice Winner 2020
Gresgarth Hall in Cumbria becomes the first historic garden to win the newly created Judge's Choice Award in the annual Historic Houses Garden of the Year competition.
Newby Hall Wins Garden of the Year 2019
Newby Hall & Gardens in North Yorkshire wins the 2019 Historic Houses Garden of the Year Award, sponsored by Christie's, in a public vote.
Miserden Wins Garden of the Year 2018
Miserden Gardens, located in the Cotswolds, has been crowned the winner of the Historic Houses Garden of the Year Award, sponsored by Christie’s.
Helmingham Hall Wins Garden of the Year 2017
The Grade I listed gardens at Helmingham are owned by the Tollemache family who have lived in this beautiful house since it was built in 1490.
Become a Historic Houses member
Explore the nation’s heritage from just £59 per year.
Hundreds of the most beautiful historic houses, castles, and gardens across Britain offer our members free entry.
Receive a quarterly magazine exploring the architecture, collections, and family histories of our grandest and oldest homes, and get an insight into what it takes to keep them standing today.
Enjoy monthly online lectures about the houses and their extraordinary history, presented by experts including house owners, curators and guest lecturers.