Described in Simon Jenkins 1,000 Best Houses as being able to follow the house’s development through the walls. Some of the walls date to 1250, much of the house built with the cut Roman stone from the ancient monument on which it stands. The family has lived in the house since 1922 and will show you its history.
The original Norman Hall around which the house developed was first lived in around 1200. The then owner John de Gatcombe is buried locally. Further extensions were added in the next two hundred years and the house went through a major re-construction betweem 1664 and 1684 when the garden was also terraced. We had a fallen wall a few years ago when a Roman and a Medieval floor were exposed over each other. Removal of interior plaster has allowed the original construction of the walls to be seen which is very interesting. Stone from the hill behind the house has been quarried and also Stone quarried from Dundry and Bath can also be seen. They different stones are quite distinctive. From outside the different architectural styles are also quite clear.
Following the house tour guests enjoy tea and homemade cake in the converted Georgian greenhouse in the garden where some original features can still be seen.