Wilton House has been the Earl of Pembroke’s ancestral home for over four and a half centuries.
Rebuilt in the Palladian style in 1647 by Inigo Jones & John Webb, with further alterations made by James Wyatt in 1801, the chief architectural features are the 17th-century State Apartments and the 19th Cloisters.
The Cloisters house an important collection of antique Greek & Roman statuary formed by the 8th Earl, including the Mazarin Collection from Paris, bought in the 1720’s.
The State Apartments include the Single and Double Cube rooms which contain seat furniture by William Kent and an impressive number of portraits by Van Dyck, including the huge ‘family piece’ of the 4th Earl, as well as paintings by Lely, Rembrandt, Pieter Brueghel the Younger, and Gerrit van Honhorst, amongst others.
In the Lower Cloisters, the Smoking Rooms contain fine examples of English Georgian furniture including Chippendale’s ‘Violin’ Bookcase and a wealth of equestrian and military paintings by Baron Reis d’Eisenberg and Swiss artist, David Morier.
House: 19th - 22nd April (Easter Weekend) & 5th May - 1st September Sundays to Thursdays & Bank Holiday Saturdays only
Grounds: 7th - 22nd April Sundays to Thursdays incl. Easer weekend; & 5th May - 5th September Sundays to Thursdays & Bank Holiday Saturdays only 11.00am - 5.30pm
Wilton House is situated 3 miles west of Salisbury, just off the A30 and 9 miles from Stonehenge, 37 miles from Bath and 90 miles from London.
From Salisbury Train Station take the Wilton/Ditchampton bus Route R3 &/or R8 (bus stop opposite Salisbury Postal Depot). The Bus takes approximately 15 minutes and drops passengers just beyond the main gates of Wilton House.
Car park on site
Historic Houses members visit for free.
House and Grounds
Family: (2+) £38.50
- Guide dogs welcome
- Accessible toilets
- Accessible parking
- Wheelchair ramps/routes
Groups are especially welcome throughout the season and Wilton House offers all the facilities for a perfect day out. We are happy to tailor visits to a group’s specific requirements and to liaise with group organisers or tour companies to achieve this.
For further information or to book please contact:
During the Second World War, the Double Cube was the headquarters of Southern Command and the D-Day landings were planned here.
Wilton House provides a unique environment for out-of-classroom learning, drawing on the collections in the House as well as the 21 acres of parkland.
The Wilton House Education Programme for schools, Key Stages 1, 2 and 3 is run by Ros Liddington on a freelance basis.
Ros ran the Schools Programme at Wilton House for over 10 years, winning the Sandford Heritage Education Award (awarded five-yearly) in 2000 and again in 2008.
She has recently set up her own business, providing themed history days for schools. Ros regularly gives external talks to groups across Wiltshire, and is a major participant at the Chalke Valley History Festival.