The Historic England Registered Garden is some 5-acres, maintained with three days help.
It surrounds and complements a historic family home dating from the 16 century, giving a series of garden rooms of great variety, from the formal old “cottage garden” at the front with delightfully informal planting, to a robust pergola of Bargate stone by W.D.Caröe.
A stream enters the garden from the north and first runs in a rhyll, enclosed by large Yew hedges (1909). Originally planted as a rose garden the depredations of the wild deer have led us to remove the roses and re-plant with foliage plants to give round-the- year interest.
The unique Water Garden by Gertrude Jekyll (1911) comprises a succession of small ponds crossed by Bargate stone paths and bridges It flows down to a wild White Garden and coppiced woodland.
Island beds in the old orchard allow for experiment with more “modern” plants, and double mixed borders created in the vegetable garden allow use of more plants of special interest. The “Centenary Garden” (1908 – 2008) has been created to reduce the vegetable-growing area and comprises four”pavilions” of yew each enclosing a seating area with glass bottle paving, metal arches and a central raised bed.
Open 1 April to 30 June: Wednesdays, 10am to 6pm.
Note, on NGS days entry is not free. Check their website for dates.
2 miles off the A283 at Chiddingfold, left up Skinners Lane and left again in to Vann Lane for 1.2 miles. The house on the right.
Historic Houses members visit free except on NGS open days.
Pre-booked groups are most welcome. We recommend 1-2 hours to visit the garden, all of which is open to the public. All groups (15 minimum) must be pre-booked using the Group Booking Form.
Group entry without owner's talk - £7.00 per head.
Group entry with owner's talk - £7.50 per head.
Refreshments available for group visits only (except for NGS Open Day teas):
- Morning tea or coffee with home-made biscuits.
- Afternoon tea with home made cakes.