The origins of The Garth, also known as The Garth Pleasure Grounds, go back to 1729 when the Lingfield parish drew up a contract, with a local carpenter Thomas Stanford, to build a new workhouse at a cost of £290. It provided basic schooling for boys making shoes, hats, bonnets and waistcoats.
The garden at the Garth covers 9 acres and was designed in 1919 by a distinguished historic Arts and Crafts buildings and landscape architect Walter H Godfrey (1881-1961). “The Garth Pleasure Grounds” as the garden was described, includes various features designed by Godfrey such as a terrace, gazebo, pergola, bird bath, well, the courtyard bench, small fountain and ornate iron gates.
The grounds were altered in the late 20th Century but a plan of the garden from 1922 shows that it retained many key features from Godfrey's original design. The garden is subdivided into many separate ‘rooms’, often by hedges or walls, and with paths linking the individual areas. The garden represents an idyllic setting surrounding the former parish workhouse which was also refurbished by Godfrey.
Please click here to watch a video of The Garth.
Group visits (minimum of 5 people) are available, for Historic Houses Members, by appointment from January to December.
Please contact email@example.com to arrange your visit.
The gardens will be open to the public on the following days in 2019:
6 May - 11 May
1pm - 5pm
We are also open for the National Garden Scheme in 2019:
5 May & 12 May
1pm - 5pm
From A22 take B2028 by Morgan Temple to Lingfield. The Garth is on the left opposite Barge Tiles.
By Public Transport
Trains go from London Victoria or Clapham Junction to Lingfield station. We are 20 min walk from the station.
- Offers bike storage
Parking is at Gun Pit Road public car park in Lingfield and free on weekends / bank holidays and about 10 min walk from the Garth.
Western Cars Taxi service 01342300000
Historic Houses members visit free.
Children up to 16 go free.
- Wheelchair ramps/routes
- Accessible toilets
A word from the owner
We spent time researching the house and grounds and are refurbishing the gardens following the plans we located in the Lewis archives. Our project is still in progress.