Please note: This house does not offer free entry to Historic House members.
For alternative options please see other opening options.

Other opening

Overview

Grade II* Arts and Crafts inspired house of outstanding neo-Georgian architectural detail.

One of the last pre-eminent country houses to be built in Yorkshire prior to the Great War. The impressive house stands in five acres of beautifully landscaped and charming gardens, and is exquisitely furnished hosting a collection of fine antiques and works of art.

The Arts and Crafts period house, of outstanding neo-Georgian architectural detail, was designed in 1912 by the renowned architect Walter H Brierley of York, also known as ‘The Lutyens of the North’.
The extensive gardens are laid out over five acres.  After many years of neglect, they have been lovingly restored and created by Michael Mallaby to include a formal parterre with clipped hornbeam and yew, a Long Walk with bountiful herbaceous and shrub borders, charming woodland style Lower Walk overlooking the River Wiske, traditional Kitchen Garden with vegetables, fruit and flowers, and a Centenary Rose Garden.


Opening
Opening

Visit by private tour only.

Find Us
Find us

By car: 6 miles east of the A1 via A61, 6 miles south of Northallerton off the A167, 4 miles west of Thirsk.

By train: nearest stations are Thirsk or Northallerton regular trains from London Kings Cross. Taxis available from both train stations.

Car Parking is situated beyond the house by the Stable Block. Coach Parking is in the Birds of Prey Centre Car Park. 

Please assemble outside in the Courtyard in front of the house.

  • Offers bike storage
Accessibility
Accessibility
  • Accessible parking
  • Guide dogs welcome
  • Accessible toilets

Please check the website for further information, admission times and details for our special events

Visit website

Forthcoming Tours

28 May 2020
2PM - 4PM | £19.50

6 Jun 2020
2PM - 4PM | £19.50

17 Jun 2020
2PM - 4PM | £19.50

22 Jul 2020
2PM - 4PM | £19.50

16 Sep 2020
2PM - 4PM | £19.50

26 Sep 2020
2PM - 4PM | £19.50

Tour Overview

Hear a personal welcome and introductory talk by Michael Mallaby, and take a personal guided tour of the principal rooms on the ground floor and the first floor rooms of the house, followed by a guided tour of the gardens.

Tour duration

2.25 hours

Tour prices

£19.50 per person.

Refreshments

Tea or coffee with a cream scone in the original Edwardian kitchens.

Access notes

Wheelchair access to the ground floor only of the house (one shallow step at entrance which has a ramp if necessary).  There is one small step in the gardens, which has a ramp if necessary. Gravelled paths round most of the garden, and reasonably flat.

Restrictions

No photography in house. No dogs.

Weddings


Opening
Opening

Visit by private tour only.

Find Us
Find us

By car: 6 miles east of the A1 via A61, 6 miles south of Northallerton off the A167, 4 miles west of Thirsk.

By train: nearest stations are Thirsk or Northallerton regular trains from London Kings Cross. Taxis available from both train stations.

Car Parking is situated beyond the house by the Stable Block. Coach Parking is in the Birds of Prey Centre Car Park. 

Please assemble outside in the Courtyard in front of the house.

  • Offers bike storage
Accessibility
Accessibility
  • Accessible parking
  • Guide dogs welcome
  • Accessible toilets

Other opening


Sion Hill Hall's history and features

The house stands on the original site of the 13th century manor of Kirby Wiske which was owned by a branch of the Lascelles family. The manor stood the test of time for over 600 years and changed ownership over the centuries. Owners included; Sir Hugh Smithson, who married Lady Elizabeth Seymour, eventually to be created The 1st Duke of Northumberland in 1784. Joshua Crompton of Esholt Hall whose son Col. Rookes Evelyn Bell Crompton born at the manor in 1845 became a famed brilliant electrical engineer, industrialist and inventor. The 3rd Earl of Harewood’s son, George Edwin Lascelles coincidentally a descendant of Roger de Lascelles who had owned the original manor in 1209 then bought it in 1850. The manor and estate was sold in 1911 to Percy and Ethel Stancliffe, who ordered a condition survey report. Due to faulty internal construction it stated that “it would be necessary to pull the manor down and rebuild”.

The Stancliffe’s commissioned Walter Brierley to design their new home, Sion Hill Hall, which was completed in 1913. The stately home was bought by Hebert William Mawer in 1962. Herbert, a successful Yorkshire businessman who previously lived at Ayton Hall near Stokesley, enjoyed collecting fine art and antiques to furnish Sion, a passion which continued throughout his life. To preserve the collection he established The Herbert William Mawer Charitable Trust, so that the house and its contents would be maintained in perpetuity. Herbert and his wife, Elsie, lived at the house until his death in 1982.

Read more about the history of Sion Hill Hall