Saling Grove is a park and pleasure ground in Essex with orangery available for hire.
In 1790 Humphry Repton (1752-1818) was commissioned to lay out the park. The whereabouts of the Red Book are unknown but an entry in Repton’s account book for 1790 records ‘Nov. 5th & 6th Book with maps and slides - £6.6.0’ for John Yeldham, Saling Grove.
The estate and subsequently most of the village, was purchased in 1795 by Bartlett Goodrich, whose father, a Virginian loyalist, had settled in England c.1785 following the American Revolution.
A map drawn up at the time of this purchase shows the landscape immediately after Repton's involvement. It records that the road from Blake End to Shalford Green was diverted, replacing a sharp angle that cut into the north-west corner of the park with a smooth curve, giving the house a more spacious setting.
The map also shows the construction of a new kitchen garden and offices, the creation of a pond, the establishment of numerous plantations, and the south park now terminating alongside the two farms at the grove with the cut vista and half-moon clearing. Read more.
The Orangery is situated within a spacious 18th-century red brick Walled Garden.
It is ideal for daytime events from corporate days to children's parties; from concerts & talks to exhibitions.
Entrance is gained from the north side through The Fernery and is a ideal place for welcoming guests before moving through to the main rooms that face southwards overlooking the Walled Garden.
The Orangery offers a versatile space that can accommodate up to 80 guests for a sit down buffert foramt or 90 guests in a conference or concert style format. Additional seating is available outside on the Long terrance and via the West room terrace.