Rectory Manor is considered to be one of the finest rectories in Suffolk, set at the heart of a tiny quintessentially English village with a Norman church and thatch cottages. The house is Georgian in appearance but some parts date back over 1000 years. The gardens extend to approximately three acres. The Book of Psalms was written here by the then Reverend Hopkins, who is buried in the church graveyard.
Located 3 miles from the Medieval village of Lavenham, Rectory Manor offers Bed and Breakfast in seven guest rooms plus use of the tennis court and swimming pool. Rated by Tatler magazine as one of the 12 smartest B&B’s in the country with an average guest review score of 9.5/10.
"Arriving at the Old Rectory is like arriving for an old-fashioned country house party, (which you secretly hope will be more PG Wodehouse than Agatha Christie)" - The Daily Telegraph
Car: We are 3 miles from Lavenham, Sudbury and Long Melford in South Suffolk.
Train: Please take the train to Sudbury Station, then 5 minutes by bus or taxi.
Bike: South Suffolk - Route A.
- Offers bike storage
BMF Cars 01787581166
- Guide dogs welcome
- Access statement available
- Large font signs and leaflets
- Accessible parking
A word from the owner
We host around 3,000 guests a year for now. The house is managed on a day to day basis by our wonderful butler, Tom, who also hosts our guests whilst they are here. Accolades Tatler magazine who rated us as “one of the 12 smartest B&B’s in the country”. In more recent news, Rectory Manor has been nominated for the UK’s “Best B&B and Beyond” in the 2019 Eviivo awards - The Oscars for B&B’s.
The site of Rectory Manor can be traced back to pagan times when the natural spring, which now comes up in the cellar, was considered to be sacred. It then passed to the Romans who build a temple here.
When Christianity arrived, the temple was demolished and parts used to construct the Norman church. In 1563, John Hopkins, Church Rector, produced the Book of Psalms. Since the 16th century, the book has over 600 editions - outsold only by The Bible and Book of Common Prayer.
In 1631, the rector Nicholas Bloxham was deprived of his appointment for "simony" (selling absolution), by a malicious claim by another priest, Andrew Sandelands. He was cleared in 1641. But, in 1643, his nemesis succeeded in having him sequestered by "The committee for Plundered Ministries". It took him until 1661, before he was finally reinstated to much rejoicing.
In 1729, Clare College Cambridge acquired the Rectory.
A multitude of walks abound in the area. Rectory Manor has a book of all these walks available to its guests.
However, a comprehensive list can be found on: www.suffolkpublicrightsofway.org.uk