Port Eliot has the rare distinction of being a Grade 1 listed house with a Grade 1 listed park and garden.
Like most houses, Port Eliot has a front door and about there the similarity ends. There are 11 staircases, 15 back doors and 82 chimneys. The roof covers half an acre and not once in living memory has it been completely watertight.
The House at Port Eliot has been lived in for over 1000 years and believed to be the oldest continually inhabited dwelling in the UK. The earliest written reference to Port Eliot is from the 5th-century AD, Augustinian monks were there from the year 937, while the earliest remaining evidence of a dwelling on the site is a 1500-year-old glazed tiled floor, dating from the late Iron Age.
In the 18th-century, Sir John Soane remodeled the Grade I-listed priory and house and landscape gardener Humphrey Repton created the gardens and park.
Port Eliot is full of the accumulated treasures of its long history, from works by Sir Joshua Reynolds and Van Dyck to a mural by South West England’s most celebrated 20th century artist, Robert Lenkiewicz.
2018 open dates are not confirmed.
Port Eliot is situated in the village of St Germans on the Rame Peninsula in South East Cornwall. The pedestrian entrance to Port Eliot is via the Lodge Gate in the village.
First Great Western Trains stop at St Germans Station. From the station follow the signs to Port Eliot, via the Lodge Gate in the village. This walk should take approximately eight minutes.
A bus service runs from Plymouth to St Germans via Saltash.
Historic Houses members visit for free.
House & Gardens
Child: £4.00 (16 years and under)
Public Transport / Groups / Seniors: £7.00
- Accessible parking
- Wheelchair ramps/routes
Port Eliot is one of the most enchanting places in Cornwall. This idyllic setting, with the imposing house overlooking stunning parkland, is the historic seat of the Earl of St Germans, home to the Eliot family for over 500 years.
Port Eliot is for hire on a very exclusive basis for wedding receptions.