Built circa 1573 as an estate farm by Dr John Gwynn, of the Wynne family of Gwydir, descendants of Owain Gwynedd, last king of North Wales.
Restored by the present owners over the last twenty years Plasglasgwm, together with its outbuildings and land is an unspoilt example of a 16th-century farm holding. The house features large oak lintel beams to the inglenook fireplaces, including the original brick-lined bread oven. There are also surviving slate floors in parts of the house, oak floorboards, oak beams and ceiling timbers, and evidence of original door and window features.
Once the farm changed ownership from the Wynne family, allegedly as a result of a gambling debt, Plasglasgwm had a number of owners over the centuries, most recently Lord Mostyn, Lord Penrhyn and The National Trust, all of whom continued to tenant the farm until the 1960s, after which the house was unoccupied.
The last tenants left in the 1960s, with the house then empty for several decades. Plasglasgwm came into private ownership in 1991, since when the present owners have undertaken an extensive renovation of the house, outbuildings & grounds.
Plasglasgwm is now back to its original form for the first time since 1951. It is now possible to come and visit or stay at Plasglasgwm - the long sheep barn has been converted to provide self-catering holiday accommodation, with work currrently underway converting more of the outbuildings to accommodation, including glamping-style bedrooms in the original 19th century pig sties.
In 2016, Siop Coffi opened its doors for teas, coffees and light snacks - our own coffee shop for residents & visitors alike, in the long barn once home to cows, goats and the farm tractor.
Plasglasgwm is open by appointment.
Please contact Tamsyn Gallimore:
Plasglasgwm is situated 1 mile out of the village of Penmachno, in the Glascwm valley, in south Gwydyr forest. Follow signs to the National Trust property, Ty Mawr, but after leaving the village, carry straight on/keep left from Plasglasgwm. Penmachno is best approached via the B4406, from the A5.
- Offers bike storage
Pennant Cars 01690 750377
A word from the owner
When we moved into the house, there was no running water, no electricity, no heating or lighting......and a baby on the way! From installing the first toilet to cutting the box hedging, everything you see at Plasglasgwm has been and continues to be done by us!
Once home to cattle & sheep, our 4-star self-catering lodge provides luxury accommodation for up to 6 people.
Situated in a courtyard setting, this once working welsh farm offers contemporary self-catering accommodation in a period setting, in the heart of the Snowdonia National Park.
A converted long barn, the lodge offers luxury accommodation for 6 guests, great for families & friends alike. We are presently working on the conversion of the remaining farm buildings, with future plans including a luxury suite in the hay loft, a cosy annex for just 2 guests and glamping bedrooms in the 19th-century pig sties!
The perfect rural retreat with all the luxury of a hotel – slumber beneath Egyptian cotton sheets and relax on comfy sofas in this authentic period farm holding.