Penicuik House is the finest and most influential example of Palladian architecture in Scotland. Built in the 1760s and devastated by fire in 1899, the once magnificent buildings has stood as a ruin for over 100 years.
It sits at the centre of an important 18th-century designed landscape, which together form an exceptional physical record of the artistic patronage of the Clerk Family.
Penicuik House and its immediate surroundings are now in the ownership of the Penicuik House Preservation Trust, and the 6 year project to consolidate this magnificent ruin and improve access to the surrounding estate is now complete.
The second phase of the project has now commenced and involves the conservation and repair of the many eye-catching built features in the designed landscape, including the Roman Bridge and Knightslaw Tower.
Today’s opening hours
Ruin and café: All year round, every day: Tours available.
See their website for further details.
Ruin: all year round, tours available - see their website for further details.
Cafe: all year round, 7 days a week - 10am to 5pm.
Situated on the western outskirts of the small town of Penicuik, just 15km south of Edinburgh
The public entrance to Penicuik House and Designed Landscape is located just off the A766 and clearly signposted Penicuik House Preservation Trust.
Access from our car park is by means of an easy walk on a tarmacked surface. Provision for disabled visitors available by arrangement with one of our Rangers. Contact us on 01968 670738 to arrange.
The designed landscape is open at all times.
No charge is made for access to Penicuik House or the designed landscape but donations from visitors are most welcome.