Orchard Wyndham has been home to the Wyndhams and their ancestors for over 700 years.
Its history is as complex as its architecture, as tricky to unravel. We know that the house was already built in part by 1287, but the history of the place likely goes back much further.
The last major additions were by Sir William Wyndham, Lord Chancellor to Queen Anne, who found a place in Swift’s “Gulliver’s Travels”. Sir William, a Jacobite, after his arrest and a spell in The Tower, was required by the new King to remain on his estates. And here, in the words of John Gay, he amused himself “with some real improvements and a great many visionary castles”.
The house has gone through past periods of neglect and rediscovery, each generation leaving its mark; and this cycle is responsible for the fascinatingly diverse architectural styles presented to the visitor today.
April to September: Selected dates. Further details to be confirmed on their website shortly.
Please check their website in advance as some may sell out.
Orchard Wyndham is located about a mile from the village of Williton, which in turn is situated about 20 minutes East of Minehead on the A39; 30 minutes West of Bridgewater on the A39; and 30 minutes Northwest of Taunton on the A358.
Car park on site
Cliffs cabs 01984 631973
Historic Houses members visit for free.
£11 for adults
£4 for children under 14 (children under 7 enter for free)
£8 per person for tours
- Accessible toilets
We are delighted to accept larger groups, which should book in advance so we can plan accordingly. Special groups, small clubs and societies are also welcome at other times of the year, by prior arrangement.
Please contact us for details: 07771873777 or email firstname.lastname@example.org