Built in the 1600's, this cottage has been used as coaching stables on the route from Lancaster to Keswick.
Owned by the Earls of Lonsdale and then converted into cottages in the mid 1700's, this cottage has seen a great deal of history.
The building at the top of the street being known as The Priest Hole has its original oak floors. Our cottage has its original structure and oak beams and includes a prayer shelf by the fire place.
Parallel with the A 591 in the centre of Ambleside, Cumbria.
For those using public transport, train from Oxenholme near Kendal to Windermere station and then taxi or bus to the main bus stop in Ambleside which is 100 meters away from the cottage. Three miles from Windermere to Ambleside.
Wordsworth used to pass the cottage every day on his way to and from work at the top of Church street Beatrix Potter used to come to speak to the people who lived in this cottage. Her butchers were across the road on Church Street and they also delivered meat to her home. She drew the butchers cart in Jemima Puddle duck outside the Tower Bank Arms, from the butchers opposite the cottage. An exact copy of which we have a photograph.