Milton Abbey School in Dorset was a Benedictine foundation, but only part of the church now survives and is used as the Milton Abbey School chapel.
In 1752, the buildings were bought by the Damer family: in 1771, to make way for a new house and landscaped estate, the 1st Baron Milton (later 1st Earl of Dorchester) demolished the remaining abbey buildings, keeping only part of the church as a private chapel, and the adjacent market town of Milton (creating Milton Abbas to rehouse the former inhabitants) in 1780. The new house was designed by William Chambers and the gardens by Capability Brown.
In 1852, the merchant banker Carl Joachim Hambro acquired Milton Abbey to make it his family home. He set about a major restoration programme, including an extensive refurbishment of the Abbey itself. The Hambro family developed and lived at Milton Abbey until 1932, when it was sold and for a while they relocated to Hedge End Farm nearby, followed by a permanent move to Dixton Manor in Gloucestershire.
Entry to Mansion House is not permitted except as part of a pre-arranged tour however visitors are welcome to visit Abbey and surrounding grounds. During School holidays the Milton Abbey Tea Rooms are open for visitors to enjoy.
For more information about the Abbey, please see our website.