Historic Houses' members visit free. Interested in joining? Find out more.

Overview

Mertoun House was designed by Sir William Bruce for Sir William Scott of Harden and was built in 1703-05. It occupies an outstanding situation on a high bank overlooking the River Tweed and ornamental parkland beyond.

Little is known of the early history of the gardens, but it is assumed from the great age of many of the specimen trees that they were laid out at the time the mansion was built.

It is possible that at least part of the gardens existed prior to that date, since the former mansion house, known as Old Mertoun House - now the head gardener’s house in the walled garden - dates from 1677 and nearby is a well preserved, circular dovecot dated 1567, thought to be the oldest in the county.


Opening
Opening

2019

1 April to 30 September, Fridays to Mondays, 2pm to 6pm (last admission 5.30pm).

Other times by appointment.

Find Us
Find us

Mertoun Gardens can be found by the B6404, 2 miles north-east of St Boswells.

Admission
Admission

Historic Houses members visit for free.


Weddings


Corporate Hire