Marchmont is an imposing ‘Grade A’ listed ‘Palladian’ mansion built in 1750 by the 3rd Earl of Marchmont.
The house is thought to have been built to a design by William Adam, which was enacted by Thomas Gibson.
Set in a designed landscaped at the heart of the Marchmont Estate, which comprises some 5,500 acres, the interior is arguably one of the finest in Scotland. The house retains many of its original features including magnificent George II period plasterwork by Thomas Clayton, the pre-eminent plasterer of the time.
Major changes were made between 1914 and 1917, when the eminent Scottish architect Sir Robert Lorimer was commissioned to enlarge the house.
The present owners have just completed a sensitive five-year restoration. Their brief was to create a splendid but comfortable ‘home’; one that incorporated the very latest in 21st Century ‘creature comforts’ whilst preserving its historically significant features.
Marchmont offer monthly guided tours (2-2.5 hour duration) publicised via our newsletter and on social media (Facebook and Twitter).
Group tours are available by arrangement.
Marchmont lies 3 miles to the east of the village of Greenlaw (off the A697), 19 miles west of Berwick-upon-Tweed, and 40 miles south east of Edinburgh.
- Offers bike storage
Car park on site
£15 for guided tour
£10 for students and TD10 postcode residents
- Wheelchair ramps/routes
- Accessible toilets
- Guide dogs welcome
- Accessible parking
Marchmont is a magnificent and spacious ‘county house’ venue only 40 miles from Edinburgh, and just 19 miles from Berwick-upon-Tweed.
There is a regular fast train connection to London (3h 36m), Newcastle (45m), and York (1h 44m).
Its large reception rooms offer a wide variety of options depending on the desired format and the numbers attending.
The grounds offer privacy and seclusion, but the house has all the modern conveniences required including the latest in central heating and hot water systems, fibre broadband and video conferencing as well as a professional kitchen and ample parking.
Outstanding accommodation for 20 people in 10 en-suite guest rooms.
There are also five ‘staff’ bedrooms that can be let additionally.
Each bedroom offers commanding views over the grounds, with many facing the Avenue on the east side; at over a mile long it is said to be the longest drive in Scotland.
The house is now available, in-part or as a whole, for corporate lettings on a daily or weekly basis. Please contact us to discuss your requirements.