Please note: This house does not offer free entry to Historic House members.
For alternative options please see other opening options.

Other opening

Overview

Crenelated building, in parts dating back to Anglo Saxon times. Family home of the Scudamore family. Largest collection of Grinling Gibbons carvings in private ownership.

Six generations of Scudamore portraits, furniture and clocks. House altered by John Nash in 1795, using designs by Anthony Keck. Extensive garden, parts dating back to the picturesque landscape movement. Flowers and trees to delight throughout the seasons.


Opening
Opening

Visit by private tour only.

Find Us
Find us

From Birmingham M5 south to M50. At Wilton roundabout, take road to Hereford A49. Then turn left for Abergavenny B4521. At Broad Oak turn right and follow signs for Kentchurch. 

From London either exit for Swindon J15 and follow signs to Glos-Newent_Ross and Hereford A49. Take the B4521 to Abergavenny. 

At Broad Oak turn right and follow signs for Kentchurch. Opposite the church, turn left through white gates and up the drive.

Coaches should contact Historic Houses for specific information.

Please check the website for further information, admission times and details for our special events

Visit website

Forthcoming Tours

15 Jul 2020
11AM - 3PM | £32.00

19 Aug 2020
11AM - 3PM | £32.00

16 Sep 2020
11AM - 3PM | £32.00

Tour Overview

Take a tour to see the Grinling Gibbons carvings, as well as paintings by John Wootton, Marcus Gheeraerts and Sir Thomas Lawrence.

Tour Duration

3 - 4 hours

Tour Prices

£32.00 per person.

Refreshments

One-course lunch.

Access notes

Limited to ground floor and most of garden.

Restrictions

No photography in the house. Well-behaved dogs on leads are allowed in the garden. No stilettos.


Opening
Opening

Visit by private tour only.

Find Us
Find us

From Birmingham M5 south to M50. At Wilton roundabout, take road to Hereford A49. Then turn left for Abergavenny B4521. At Broad Oak turn right and follow signs for Kentchurch. 

From London either exit for Swindon J15 and follow signs to Glos-Newent_Ross and Hereford A49. Take the B4521 to Abergavenny. 

At Broad Oak turn right and follow signs for Kentchurch. Opposite the church, turn left through white gates and up the drive.

Coaches should contact Historic Houses for specific information.

Other opening


Kentchurch Court's history and features

Kentchurch Court is a stately home situated in a five thousand acre estate in Herefordshire on the border of England and Wales. Kentchurch has been In the Scudamore family for nearly 1,000 years. 

The first Scudamore recorded in the area was one Ralph Scudamore in 1042. A stonemason, brought over from Normandy by Edward the Confessor, to build the castle in Ewyas Harold. Ralph is mentioned five times in the Doomsday Book of 1086. These castles, were used to protect the English border from invasion by the Welsh. 

The Scudamores first lived at 'Corras' with its motte and chapel on the banks of the River Monnow. A later branch of Scudamores, moved to a moted site at the end of the present drive, before moving to Kentchurch in the 14th century. The oldest part of Kentchurch (see picture above) was built with the chapel stones of Corras.

Owain Glendower, (the last Prince of Wales), daughter Alice, married John Scudamore. Owain Glendower is believed to have taken refuge at Kentchurch (in this room in the tower) after the failure of his rebellion against the English.

Read more about Kentchurch Court's history.