Overview

A less well known but delightful private home, centerpiece of a rural estate situated in the Weald of Kent in a wonderful parkland setting.

The extensive 16 acres of gardens open to the public feature formal lawns with specimen trees and extensive yew topiary with statuary and herbaceous borders within. An interesting feature is the standard form wisteria in the Vineyard.

Walled gardens surround the house, with meadow and woodland gardens beyond with bulbs in profusion in wild flower meadows and a Woodland Garden with Rhododendrons and Azaleas.

The adjacent Bluebell wood is recognised as one of the finest places to see them, an unparalleled carpet of blue during late April and early May. Home made teas and light lunches are served in The Coach House.


Opening
Opening

1 April to 9 June, every day

13 June to 31 October, Wednesdays and Thursdays

7, 14, 21 and 28 October

11am to 6pm

Find Us
Find us

Located mid way between the villages of Rolvenden and Benenden on the B2086.

Nearest Station Staplehurst, taxi 8 miles, approx £15.

Bus Route 295 & 297 Transweald. Tunbridge Wells to Ashford passes the entrance.

  • Offers bike storage
Parking

Car park on site

  • Free

Taxi

MTC 01580 890003

Admission
Admission

Historic Houses members visit for free. 

Adult: £7.50

Child: £1.00

Accessibility
Accessibility
  • Accessible toilets
  • Guide dogs welcome
  • Accessible parking
  • Access statement available
  • Wheelchair ramps/routes
Group Visits
Group Visits

Group visits are available on any date by appointment

Conducted tours of the gardens by the owner or Head Gardener

Prior booking is essential.

Group rate is £7.00, must be prebooked and exceed 10 people.

Contact us for more information on 01580 241344 or info@holepark.com.


A word from the owner

Although the gardens have been open to the public since 1927, and faced with the costs of maintaining 16 acres of garden, particular effort was put into opening and marketing them from 2010. We now attract some 15,000 visitors annually and the house remains a family home. We hope you enjoy your visit.
Mr and Mrs Edward Barham

Things to See

Fun Facts
  • The current house is the fourth house on the site of which we have records. The first was a Wealden Farmhouse onto the front of which the then owners added a Queen Ann style residence in 1720.
  • The last and most prominent member of that family to live here, Thomas Gibbon Monypenny, (17xx - 1865) MP for Rye, demolished the first house and incorporated the second house as the central section of a neo-Elizabethan house built in 1832.
  • During WWII the house was used as barracks. Following the war the family did not move back in. Faced with stark decisions the father of the current owner demolished much of the house in 1959, leaving the central section from the 1720 house and rebuilding in a style that both suited modern living and mimicked that of 1720.

A wedding at Hole Park


Weddings

We host weddings both in the gardens and at The Great Barn, a dedicated wedding venue some 3 miles from Hole Park.

The venues can be used separately or in combination. Both venues are registered for Civil marriages and we offer great freedom, permitting brides to choose their own contractors and suppliers.

Facilities

  • Guest parking
  • Accessible parking

Corporate Hire

Corporate events

The Rolls Room, with the adjacent Coach House, offers a delightful quiet venue for small conferences and meetings, with the opportunity to get away from the stress of modern life.

Lunches and homemade teas can be provided to your requirements. Free WiFi available and parking is immediately outside in the stable yard.

Delegates have full access to the adjacent gardens for rest and contemplation

Facilities

  • Wifi
  • Lunch
  • Wheelchair accessible
  • Projector and screen
  • Refreshments
  • Breakfast
  • Accessible toilets
  • Plentiful parking