Please note: This house does not offer free entry to Historic House members.
For alternative options please see other opening options.

Other opening

Overview

A Tudor house built by Sir Thomas Tindall for a manor dating back to the 13th century. Seized by the Crown in 1661 and sold to Sir Cyril Wyche, a President of the Royal Society.

Remaining in the Wyche-Clough-Newcome family till the 1930s, it was extended for Prince Victor Duleep Singh, son of the Maharajh of Lahore and godson of Queen Victoria. Fine walled gardens.

Four times since 1275, the property has passed through the female line, and has an interesting and varied history. The east wing of the house and cellar retain some 16th century features, whilst the west wing and rear of the house have been much altered, probably in the 18th century. An extension was added by Prince Victor in 1895. In the 1930s, Hockwold Hall was purchased by Sir Harry Peat, Senior Partner of Peat-Marwick, now KPMG. 

The gardens occupy 5 acres of the estate, with a walled garden of over an acre adjoining the rear of the house. The garden has many interesting trees, herbaceous and mixed borders, a crevice garden, a “banjo” yew allée, an orchard and other features.


Opening
Opening

Visit by Private Tours only.

Find Us
Find us

The house is situated off Station Road, Hockwold, adjacent to the village of Hockwold.

If travelling from the south, from A14, take A11 north and at Barton Mills follow A1065 towards Brandon for 6.7 miles past RAF Lakenheath. Turn left onto to Wangford Road (signed “Viewing Areas”) and follow the road for 2.1 miles. At the end of road turn right towards Hockwold.and drive for 2.3 miles, over the level crossing into Hockwold. After the New Inn Pub, St Peter’s Church and some white cottages, the main gates of Hockwold Hall appear on the left.

Arriving from the North, from the junction of the A134 and A1065 at Mundford follow the A1065 toward Brandon, turning right to Weeting at Pyots Hill. Turn right at the junction into Weeting and in the village take the left turn marked Hockwold-cum-Wilton. Follow the road all the way through Hockwold to Main Street, bearing left, and remaining on Main Street, just as the main road becomes Malts Lane. The gates of Hockwold Hall are directly opposite at the junction with Feltwell Road (B1112).

Forthcoming Tours

Sorry, there are no upcoming tours at the moment. Please check back soon.

Tour Overview

Go on a guided tour of Hockwold Hall and explore the ground floor of the house, the cellar and first floor - including 8 bedrooms - with the owner of Hockwold Hall, and tour the gardens and outside features with the head gardener.

Tour duration

2.5 hours.

Tour prices

£17.00 per person.

Refreshments

Tea or coffee and cakes.

Access notes

Ground floor and gardens only.

 


Opening
Opening

Visit by Private Tours only.

Find Us
Find us

The house is situated off Station Road, Hockwold, adjacent to the village of Hockwold.

If travelling from the south, from A14, take A11 north and at Barton Mills follow A1065 towards Brandon for 6.7 miles past RAF Lakenheath. Turn left onto to Wangford Road (signed “Viewing Areas”) and follow the road for 2.1 miles. At the end of road turn right towards Hockwold.and drive for 2.3 miles, over the level crossing into Hockwold. After the New Inn Pub, St Peter’s Church and some white cottages, the main gates of Hockwold Hall appear on the left.

Arriving from the North, from the junction of the A134 and A1065 at Mundford follow the A1065 toward Brandon, turning right to Weeting at Pyots Hill. Turn right at the junction into Weeting and in the village take the left turn marked Hockwold-cum-Wilton. Follow the road all the way through Hockwold to Main Street, bearing left, and remaining on Main Street, just as the main road becomes Malts Lane. The gates of Hockwold Hall are directly opposite at the junction with Feltwell Road (B1112).

Other opening


Hockwold Hall's history and features

Hockwold Hall is basically a Tudor House, built by a local magnate, Sir Thomas Tindale shortly after 1539 on the site of a medieval manor dating back to 1275. The new house took the name of the manor which was called Poynings, after the family who had owned it for nearly 250 years before it passed to a cousin Henry Percy, 4th Earl of Northumberland. His son the 5th Earl inherited Poynings but died childless, and bequeathed his properties to Henry VIII, who sold Poynings to Thomas Tindale.

Ownership of Hockwold Hall remained in the Newcome family from the latye 1700's until at least 1931, but in 1894, it became the residence of Crown Prince Victor Duleep Singh, son of the last Maharajah of the Sikh Empire and a godson of Queen Victoria. Prince Victor came to Hockwold with his younger brother Prince Frederick and commissioned a significant extension to the eastern part of the house in 1895. Victor was a close friend of Lord Carnarvon and there has been much speculation about his relationship with Lady Carnarvon. However, Prince Victor married Lady Anne Coventry and the Prince and Princess came to Hockwold in 1898. Declared bankrupt in 1902, the couple fled to Paris and Prince Victor died in Monte Carlo in 1918.

Hockwold Hall appears to have been occupied by the Air Ministry in 1918, while a new aerodrome was being constructed nearby at Feltwell. In 1933, the Hall was purchased by Sir Harry Peat, who was Senior Partner of what is now KPMG, one of the “big four” international accountancy companies. The Hall remained in the Peat family till 1978, after which it became a hotel run by Philip Law and then John Nevin. In 1987 it was purchased as a private home by Nabil Chartouni, a Lebanese businessman and major donor to the American University in Beirut. He made many of the improvements that are responsible for the fine state of the Hall today.