Please note: This house does not offer free entry to Historic House members.
For alternative options please see other opening options.

Other opening

Overview

Built in 1764 for Plowden Slaney by Shrewsbury architect Thomas Farnolls Pritchard, Hatton remains to this day within the same family and is one of Pritchard's most complete existing works. The house is surrounded by beautiful gardens including a David Austin rose walk.

It is one of Pritchard's most complete existing works and is a good example of a provincial Georgian country house set in its own grounds. The interior also features ornate plasterwork and chimney pieces designed by Pritchard. Surrounded by beautiful gardens including a David Austin rose walk, the house is still very much a family home. It contains a fascinating collection, most notably that of Robert Aglionby Slaney (MP for Shrewsbury) and his grandson William Slaney Kenyon-Slaney (MP for Newport) who scored the first international goal for England at football on 8th March 1873 against Scotland.


Opening
Opening

We welcome groups of no less than 20 people by appointment. You can also book on one of our Private Tours.

Appointment

Visits by appointment only. Please email rks@hatton-grange.com or call 01952460338 to arrange.

Find Us
Find us

Hatton is located approx. 1.4 miles south east of Shifnal on the A464. (Take Exit 4 on the M54). 

Visitors arriving by public transport can take a train direct to Shifnal from Birmingham or Wolverhampton (a short taxi ride away).

From the East, North or South West head towards Shifnal (J4 off the M54) onto the A464. Continue through Shifnal on the A464 heading south east in the direction of Wolverhampton. After 1.5 miles, the entrance to Hatton Grange is on the right marked by a pair of red brick lodge houses and white chains. Proceed up the drive for 1 mile.

Parking

Car park on site

  • Free

Admission
Admission

Free

Accessibility
Accessibility
  • Accessible parking
Group Visits
Group Visits

We welcome groups of no less than 20 people by appointment. Prices start at £20 per head, including morning coffee or afternoon tea. Lunches can be arranged at an additional cost. Request a group visit.

Forthcoming Tours

Sorry, there are no upcoming tours at the moment. Please check back soon.

Tour Overview

The tour comprises a guided tour of the main downstairs rooms and is usually led by a member of the family followed by a tour of the exterior and the gardens, including the David Austin rose wall in summer months.

Tour duration

2.5 - 3 hours.

Tour prices

£20.00 per person.

Refreshments

Tea, coffee and homemade biscuits and cakes. Lunch can be arranged for groups.

Access notes

Wheelchair access can be arranged with a ramp. There are steps up to the ground floor and the garden paths are gravel.

Special restrictions

No dogs, and no photography inside the house please.

Weddings


Opening
Opening

We welcome groups of no less than 20 people by appointment. You can also book on one of our Private Tours.

Appointment

Visits by appointment only. Please email rks@hatton-grange.com or call 01952460338 to arrange.

Find Us
Find us

Hatton is located approx. 1.4 miles south east of Shifnal on the A464. (Take Exit 4 on the M54). 

Visitors arriving by public transport can take a train direct to Shifnal from Birmingham or Wolverhampton (a short taxi ride away).

From the East, North or South West head towards Shifnal (J4 off the M54) onto the A464. Continue through Shifnal on the A464 heading south east in the direction of Wolverhampton. After 1.5 miles, the entrance to Hatton Grange is on the right marked by a pair of red brick lodge houses and white chains. Proceed up the drive for 1 mile.

Parking

Car park on site

  • Free

Admission
Admission

Free

Accessibility
Accessibility
  • Accessible parking
Group Visits
Group Visits

We welcome groups of no less than 20 people by appointment. Prices start at £20 per head, including morning coffee or afternoon tea. Lunches can be arranged at an additional cost. Request a group visit.

Other opening


Hatton Grange's history and features

Hatton Grange, which before the Dissolution belonged to Buildwas Abbey, was purchased in the later C17 by Robert Slaney. The latter's great-grandson Plowden Slaney, who was born in 1724, inherited the 1100-acre (c 458ha) estate in 1757. Four years later he married Martha Pitt, of Priors Lee, and two years after that employed T F Pritchard to build a new house for them. Before his death in 1788 Slaney seems also to have made considerable improvements to his estate, and by 1779 had spent some £6630, of which the main building work between 1763 and 1768 accounted for £1553. Slaney was succeeded by his son Robert, under whom work continued; by 1793 the overall sum expended at Hatton had reached £7106. It was presumably in that thirty-year period, 1763-93, that the park was created and the dingle pools modified. After Robert's death in 1834 Hatton passed to his son Robert Aglionby Slaney (d 1862), MP for Shrewsbury and leading national proponent of public parks (Stamper 1996, 87-8). Hatton Grange remains (1998) in private hands.


Things to See

Fun Facts

Hatton is a working estate and has a small but thriving community. All those involved endeavour to keep alive the traditions of the Estate, whilst recognising the need to evolve with modern times. In both World Wars the house was used as an auxiliary Red Cross hospital with the present owner's great grandmother being the Commandant. The Cricket Pavilion where teas are served was used as a dormitory for convalescent soldiers. The present generation are especially keen gardeners and are actively working with David Austin to establish new rose borders and walks in the garden.