Overview

An ancient house with a Victorian facade. Situated far from any city yet at the heart of Welsh History, Art & Politics.

Once a landed estate, now a conference centre, wedding venue, Grade I listed garden and events venue. Famed for centuries for its hospitality and still offering accommodation today. 

The garden is informal and diverse. It sits in the middle of 750 of land with several waymarked walks. It is stunning in summer with a magnificent collection of rhododendrons and azaleas and also very beautiful in autumn as the trees colour up. 

On a walk around the garden I would recommend The Dell area – which in the Davies sisters day used to have a gardening team of 6 to look after that area. It has some interesting planting and also has the Montgomeryshire Beekeepers Training apiary.

This leads to a circular walk around the lily pond where visitors will find a summerhouse at the back of the pond where Margaret Davies used to paint. 

The borders around the Hall are planted with herbaceous beds and the fountains at the front of the Hall have different annual planting every year. 

A good view of the iconic golden yew hedge can be got from the concrete bridge at the front of the Hall. 


Today
Today’s opening hours

Gardens only: Every day: 9am - 4.30pm

Charge for car parking. Hall not open.

Opening
Opening

2020

Grounds and nature reserve: Open all year round.

Gardens: April to November. Daily, dawn to dusk.

Find Us
Find us

Gregynog’s location near the quiet village of Tregynon, 6 miles north of Newtown in Powys, makes it reachable within 3 hours from all parts of Wales, within 2 hours from Birmingham, Manchester, Chester and Liverpool and just 50 minutes from Shrewsbury.

Rail links are via the Birmingham – Aberystwyth line, and the nearby A483 leads to the motorway network.

 

Parking

Car park on site

  • £2.50

Admission
Admission

Historic Houses members visit the gardens for free.

£3 non-members

Group Visits
Group Visits

Groups can visit the property by arrangament, please contact +44 (0)1686 650224

Please check the website for further information, admission times and details for our special events

Visit website

Weddings

Gregynog Hall really is the most romantic of locations, laced with symbolism from the earliest times of the Princes’ of Wales and cultural significance. Impress your guests with the exquisite good taste of the Davies Sisters, in a building where Renoirs, Monet’s and Picasso’s once hung and Rodin’s still stand. If you wish to hire the whole house, then bespoke packages including the bridal suite are available, providing both privacy and exclusiveness for your wedding.

With glorious Grade 1 listed gardens, the grounds offer inspirational opportunities for photographs with a majestic backdrop of fountains, trees and Rhododendrons.

At Gregynog, we offer a genuinely warm Welsh welcome and are focused on providing the best service available.


Today
Today’s opening hours

Gardens only: Every day: 9am - 4.30pm

Charge for car parking. Hall not open.

Opening
Opening

2020

Grounds and nature reserve: Open all year round.

Gardens: April to November. Daily, dawn to dusk.

Find Us
Find us

Gregynog’s location near the quiet village of Tregynon, 6 miles north of Newtown in Powys, makes it reachable within 3 hours from all parts of Wales, within 2 hours from Birmingham, Manchester, Chester and Liverpool and just 50 minutes from Shrewsbury.

Rail links are via the Birmingham – Aberystwyth line, and the nearby A483 leads to the motorway network.

 

Parking

Car park on site

  • £2.50

Admission
Admission

Historic Houses members visit the gardens for free.

£3 non-members

Group Visits
Group Visits

Groups can visit the property by arrangament, please contact +44 (0)1686 650224

Other opening

Courtyard Cafe & Gift Shop

The Courtyard cafe, situated within our historic courtyard, is a beautiful location for a relaxing lunch, in homely surroundings, with indoor and outdoor seating for up to 48 people. A Welsh dragon, inspired by the medieval carving of the Blayney Room, and created in Gregynog oak peers down at you, as if looking for a hearty snack!

The Shop is open from 9am -5pm every day of the week throughout the Spring and Summer months and our Courtyard Cafe opens it’s doors on the following dates: 

April/Easter – Oct  Tuesday to Sunday 10am–5pm (plus all Bank Holiday Mondays)

Nov & Dec – Fri/Sat/Sun 10am– 4pm

Jan closed

Feb & March –Fri/ Sat/ Sun 10am–4pm

Events at Gregynog 2019

Dates for your Diary in 2020:

World Book Day – 8th March 2020

Mothering Sunday –  22nd March 2020

Easter Weekend – 10th – 13th April 2020

Gregynog Young Musician Competition – 25th April 2020

Centenary of the Davies Sisters at Gregynog – 31st July 2020               

Cafe Winter Opening Hours

January – Closed

February & March Fridays/Saturdays/Sundays 10am – 4pm

April/Easter to end Oct Plus Bank Holidays  – Tuesday to Sunday 10 – 5pm


Walks

The gardens at Gregynog are unrivaled, offering a mixture of formal and woodland walks.

To assist our visitors in fully appreciating the beauty and diversity of the estate, we have created a variety of colour-coded woodland walks. The walks are of varying length and difficulty, weaving their way through the estate to offer tantalising views of both the Hall and the stunning Montgomeryshire countryside.

The new Lily Lake Walk, Warren Walk, Great Wood Walk and Valley Walk have been created to offer something of interest to everyone.

Find out more



Gregynog Hall's history and features

Gregynog has existed for 800 years. By the 16th century it was the home of the Blayney family, local gentry who claimed descent from the early Welsh princes and whose courage and benevolence were praised by the court poets. Their coat of arms is the centrepiece of the fine oak carvings in what we now call the Blayney Room.

For hundreds of years Gregynog was one of Montgomeryshire’s leading landed estates, at the heart of the community and the local economy. The Blayney squires gave way to the Lords Sudeley, then Lord Joicey.

After several hundred years of private ownership, in 1913 a huge estate sale saw Gregynog’s farms, cottages and woodlands sold off, many to their tenants. Gregynog Hall might have been demolished had not the wealthy Davies sisters acquired it in 1920 to become the headquarters of their enterprise to bring art, music and creative skills to the people of Wales in the aftermath of the First World War.

Read more about Gregynog Hall's history here.


Fun Facts

The Davies sisters together created one of the most important private collections of art in Britain and donated a total of 260 works to the National Museum Wales in the mid 20th century, where it has become one of the nation’s greatest treasures. However, some of the pictures, a great deal of the furniture, and many, many books still remain at Gregynog.

Their interest in music too was extraordinary and they had not been at Gregynog for long before they had converted Lord Joicey’s billiard room into a music room and formed a choir, mainly from estate employees and their families. (‘Gardener wanted – tenor preferred’, went the advertisement – or so the story goes). This music became a defining motif of the Gregynog during the wars and the Welsh College of Music was largely funded by the Davies sisters.