Gallery House was designed and built by the Edinburgh contractor Thomas Wilkie, in 1677-1682.
It is the best preserved of a group of symmetrical later 17th and earliest 18th-century houses with towers flanking the main elevation, a type which drew its inspiration from the great house of Panmure (demolished) and Balcaskie (considerably altered), built by John Mylne and Sir William Bruce in the 1660s.
These houses were either of three or two storeys, varying in size from the very large Culter in Deeside to the diminutive Raemoir in Kincardine, and have a geographical spread which extends from Roxburgh to southern Aberdeenshire.
Garden only: 1 June to 31 August: Tuesdays, 1pm to 5pm, or by appointment.
Open, but not free to members, for Scottish Gardens Scheme, 25 and 26 May, 13 and 14 July.
From A90 South of Northwater Bridge take the exit to 'Hillside' and next left to 'Gallery' and 'Marykirk'.
From A937 West of rail underpass, follow signs to 'Gallery' and Northwater Bridge
Car park on site
Historic Houses members visit the gardens for free.
- Accessible parking
- Large font signs and leaflets
- Guide dogs welcome
A word from the owner
Since 1999 there has seen a considerable embellishment of the Gallery garden. It followed the change of ownership in 1997 and is the achievement of a talented gardening team. Head Gardener Ron Stephen is a full time working member of this team. The present excellent condition of the garden reflects his exceptional skill, hard work and commitment.