Foulis (Gaelic "Fo-glais" a streamlet) has of old been the home of Clan Munro. Acquired by a Munro Chief in the early 14th centruy. Plans of the original castle are long since lost, but the grounds still contain the site of an 11th-century mott (a manmade mound topped by a wooden palisade).
The present Castle dates from the middle of l8th century containing within its attractive Georgian structure the remains of a much earlier and altogether different defensive keep.
Sir Harry Munro returned after the 1745 Rising in which he lost both his father and uncle at the Battle of Falkirk, to find his ancient home destroyed by fire, and set about building the house you see today incorporating what he could of the old 16th-century keep. The courtyard pierced by three arches with its semi-octagonal tower dated 1754 hints at an earlier form of Scottish architecture, whilst the overall effect of the range of 18th-century domestic buildings, coachhouses, laundry, bakehouse, stables and well, shows a strong continental influence.
The slightly later and more formal Georgian front features a fine double entrance stair leading to a doorway formed from a first floor window in the pedimented centre piece with its heraldic panel dated 1777. The short end elevations have elegant full height angled bays. The whole, very much in the manner of one of the Adams brothers.