Please note: This house does not offer free entry to Historic House members.
For alternative options please see other opening options.
Canonteign was given to the canons of St Mary du Val in Normandy circa 1125 and conveyed to the Prior and convent of Merton, in Surrey. It was granted to Lord John Russell after the Reformation, and then passed through a series of owners. It was garrisoned for the king during the Civil War and taken by Fairfax in 1645. According to Lysons it belonged to the Davy family in the 17th century, and it was later owned by the Viscounts Exmouth.
The second Viscount moved his family seat to nearby Canonteign House at the beginning of the 19th century and the Manor fell into a state of slow disrepair over the following 150 years. It was restored by Lady Exmouth in the 1970s and has recently undergone extensive and sympathetic renovation.
Sorry, there are no upcoming tours at the moment. Please check back soon.
Canonteign Manor is located 3.6 miles off the Devon Expressway (A38). From the A38, take the Teign Valley Exit and follow the brown signs for Canonteign Falls. Once you come to the turning for the Falls follow the road around to the right. The Manor is 0.3 miles further down the road on the right hand side.
Exeter St Davids - Train Station: 16 miles, 29 minutes by car. Exeter International Airport: 18 miles, 24 minutes by car.
£15 (£20 if lunch included)
Tea/coffee and biscuits.
No wheelchair access.
No dogs inside the house.