A-Listed Brunstane is just 7 minutes by train from the centre of Edinburgh.
The core of Brunstane goes back to at least the 14th-century. The original defensive tower house was later extended to form an "L" shape then, in 1639, a new spiral staircase, emblazoned with the escutcheon of John Maitland, later Duke of Lauderdale, and his wife, Lady Anne Home, was created in the corner of the "L".
In 1670 Lauderdale commissioned Sir William Bruce, architect of Hopetoun and Holyrood, to add a further wing, completing Brunstane's present U-shape.
Bruce installed sash windows throughout, the first in Scotland, and added an exterior staircase to the original wing, not as a grand entrance but, at Lauderdale's command, as a quick exit from his Great Chamber to the garden.
Ornamental plasterwork and marble fireplaces were added to the interior in 1740 by William Adam as well as the single storey hallway that links the three wings at ground level.
Incredibly easy to get to from the centre of Edinburgh with the local station at the end of the drive. Edinburgh Waverley to Brunstane Station is just one stop (7 minutes) with trains approximately every half hour. The walk from the station is c.7 minutes.
A frequent bus service also runs from Princes Street to Brunstane Road South. It is then a short 10 minute walk.
- Offers bike storage
Standard admission by voluntary donation.
A word from the owner
The Crichton family, early owners of Brunstane, were found guilty of treachery and were ordered that the house be "cassin down." It is likely that in fact only the roof was removed. The adjacent fields were also the site for the Scottish camp at the Battle of Pinkie . The bodies of the fallen were said to "lay as thick as cattle do graze".
We offer visits for primary schools including a guided historical tour of the house.