Please note: This house does not offer free entry to Historic House members.
For alternative options please see other opening options.
Grade II listed Barton Bendish Hall is a 17th Century house which was remodelled and enlarged in 1856. The traditional 10-acre country estate garden has a woodland drive, orchard, kitchen garden with soft fruits, espaliered fruit trees, vegetables and a Thomas Messenger-style glasshouse full of scented pelargoniums. Walled and cut flower garden. Herbaceous borders, south facing terrace with open views onto the wider framed landscape. The Hall is not generally open to the public.
There will be a guided tour of the garden led by the head gardener.
£14.00 per person.
Tea and cakes.
Most of the garden is flat. However, there are steps but this does not affect wheelchair users as these can be avoided.
No dogs allowed.
Barton Bendish Hall's history and features
The Oddfellows lodge of Barton Bendish was founded in 1841, under the name of the Duke of Norfolk Lodge. Initially it met in the Spread Eagle pub. Around 1860 the lodge changed it's name to The Berney Lodge and by 1907 it was meeting regularly in the new Oddfellows hall, probably funded by Sir Henry Hanson Berney, 9th Baronet, continuing the work of his father in restoring the family seat at Barton Bendish Hall.