With its celebrated gardens and lovely setting overlooking park and lake, Hyde's House was remodelled by adding extra rooms and creating the main facade, now the garden front, in the late 17th and early 18th centuries. Following the dissolution of the monasteries, the original property was granted to Sir Thomas Arundell and then sold to the Earl of Pembroke in 1548. It was subsequently sold to the well-connected Hyde family in 1585. Edward Hyde (who became Chancellor Clarendon to Charles II) was born here, and his daughter Anne married the Duke of York, later James II and had two daughters both of whom became Queens of England. Following a 2 Red Rosette lunch at the award-winning Howard's House Hotel, enjoy an exclusive owner-led tour of Hatch House, once also owned by the Hyde family, which was built in the 17th century and extensively restored and extended by Detmar Blow in 1906. The house’s theatrical façade is the three-gabled west front, the seven windows of which overlook the terraced 17th century Dutch garden with incredible views across the Vale of Wardour.
Exclusive to Historic Houses members. Tickets £70 including two-course lunch followed by tea/coffee at the award-winning Howard's House Hotel.
Booking opens on 2 December at 9.00 am