This huge 16th-18th century house and its owner, Philip Hope-Cobbold, are equally exuberant – a double wow factor. As is the haunted staircase and fine 200-acre park designed by Repton and known for its ancient oaks. The whole estate was bought by the Cobbold brewing family in the early 20th century.
The red brick mansion, originally of the Elizabethan period, was built (around 1560) by the de Glemhams, a family which took its name from Great (Magna) and Little (Parva) Glemham. Considerable structural changes were made to the Hall between 1712 and 1722, giving it an overall Georgian façade. The Hall remained in various branches of the North family (Lord Guilford) for more than 200 years (1709-1923). In 1923 it was purchased by the Cobbold brewing family and became the home of Captain John Murray Cobbold, founder and first chairman of Ipswich Town Football Club as a professional club, and his wife Lady Blanche, a daughter of the 9th Duke of Devonshire. Captain Cobbold – (Scots Gds) - then Colonel – was killed in 1944, when a flying bomb destroyed the Guards' Chapel in London. Glemham Hall is a lived-in home, now owned by their grandson Major Hope-Cobbold. He is Patron of Ipswich Town Football Club, was High Sheriff of Suffolk 2005-2006 and is a Deputy Lieutenant for the county. His son Tom with wife Miki and two children, Bella and Oliver now live in the Hall