A Georgian silk merchant’s house located in Spitalfields and sensitively converted for use as the head office of the charity the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings (SPAB). Hear about the Society’s work and see inside this wonderfully atmospheric working building.
The Spitalfields headquarters of the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings (SPAB) – the country’s oldest building conservation charity, founded by William Morris in 1877. Brick-built, Grade II-listed former silk merchant’s house of c1740. Built on the site of an earlier priory when the silk trade was at its peak and now the only 18th-century building left on Spital Square. Many surviving original features (including staircase, panelling and fireplaces), as well as sensitive later work, notably from the 1980s rescue and office conversion. Rear courtyard with shade-loving plants, amongst which are herbs associated with Nicholas Culpeper, the physician and apothecary who once lived locally.